- This event has passed.
Drug Recognition Expert (DRE) Training
November 28, 2022 @ 8:00 am - December 9, 2022 @ 5:00 pmFree
THIS CERTIFICATION WILL PROVIDE SKILLS NECESSARY TO ASSIST DEPUTIES IN TAKING IMPAIRED DRIVERS OFF THE ROAD AND IN TURN, SAVE LIVES
28 NOV 22 – 9 DEC 22 17 JAN 23 – 23 JAN 23
Edmond, OK Jacksonville, FL
DRE Training relies heavily on Standardized Field Sobriety Tests (SFSTs), which provide the foundation for the DEC Program. Once trained and certified, DREs become highly effective officers skilled in the detection and identification of persons impaired by alcohol and/or drugs. Participants will learn conduct a systematic and standardized 12-step evaluation consisting of physical, mental and medical components.
Because of the complexity and technical aspects of the DRE training, not all law enforcement officers may be suited for the training. Experience has shown that training a well-defined group of officers proficient in impaired driving enforcement works well and can be very effective.
The DRE classroom training is designed to assist the student achieve three broad goals and eight specific learning objectives:
- Determine if an individual is under the influence of a drug or drugs other than alcohol, the combined influence of alcohol and other drugs, or suffering from an injury or illness that produces similar signs to alcohol/drug impairment;
- Identify the broad category or categories of drugs that would induce the observable signs and symptoms of impairment; and
- Progress to the Field Certification Phase of the training.
- Be able to describe the involvement of drugs in impaired driving incidents;
- Name the seven drug categories and recognize their effects;
- Describe and properly administer the psychophysical and physiological evaluations used in the DRE procedures;
- Prepare a narrative drug influence evaluation report; and
- Discuss appropriate procedures for testifying in typical DRE cases.
ACTIVE LAW ENFORCEMENT ONLY.
100% ATTENDANCE AND PARTICIPATION REQUIRED
This certification is 100% FREE to attend. The Oklahoma Sheriffs’ Association will reimburse the participant’s agency for required lodging, per diem for classroom attendance in Edmond and will direct pay for airfare, lodging, ground transportation, and per diem in Florida.
For lodging reservations in Edmond, OK, during the classroom portion of the certification use contact information below:
Director of Sales
Direct Line: 405-420-2161 (M-F, 0800-1600)
Fairfield Marriott Edmond
301 Meline Drive, Edmond, OK 73034
Please Direct Questions to the Following
Kyle Keller – OSA Training Director
(o) 471-6049 (e) email@example.com